Here are my notes, with question marks where there is some uncertainty about what was said or known. Some useful chronology: The Veblens bought the house in 1941. Oswald lived until 1960, Elizabeth until 1974.
General memories about the Veblens:
- Elizabeth met Oswald Veblen in Germany (?)
- The Veblens arrived in Princeton before there were any cars, and would go into town on a horse and carriage.
- The Veblen House was a weekend retreat. The Veblens had a busy social life while Oswald was alive.
- Elizabeth had a maid who made tea. Elizabeth would have a fire burning, and they'd sit in comfortable chairs near the fire in the living room.
- Elizabeth gave the painter's 2 year old daughter a dress.
- She describes Elizabeth as unprepossessing, down to earth, direct, straightforward, not fancy, very pleasant.
Post a Comment